February 15, 2013 in Daily Bulletin
Most men shave their faces. Matt Siltala put together some interesting pieces of information about the practice:
- The word ‘barbarian’ comes from ‘unbarbered’ – men with beards who did not shave. (Centives commenter jamapa writes that this is incorrect.)
- Alexander the Great required his troops to be clean-shaven so that the enemy couldn’t grab onto their beards.
- In the United States men on average shave 4.6 times a week.
- They take about three and a half minutes to shave. This adds up to 38 days of shaving over a lifetime.
- Across the world 15% of men shave in the shower. The rest shave at the sink.
Read more about beard and mustache records, as well as beard taxes over here.