April 19, 2017 in Daily Bulletin
A reality TV star is now President of the United States. Andy Martino wrote about how this has reverberated across television – especially on Keeping up with the Kardashians:
- Keeping up with the Kardashians was thought of as vapid, mindless, and asinine entertainment when it first debuted.
- Yet season 13 is going to cover Kim Kardashian’s violent robbery, as well as the continuing story of Bruce Jenner’s transition into Caitlyn.
- Along the way the show has driven focus on issues that have gone onto dominate political discussion – like transgender rights.
- The shift towards more serious subjects has helped the Kardashians stay relevant and popular.
- This is in stark contrast to TV stars that haven’t managed to adapt to a changing political climate – like Jimmy Fallon whose easygoing comedy is losing out to Stephen Colbert’s serious political satire.
Read more on The Outline.