December 17, 2013 in Daily Bulletin
Over a couple articles Lily Kuo took a look at the Indian fast food market:
- Fast food restaurants alter their menus to suit the Indian market.
- McDonald’s, for example, doesn’t offer any beef or pork products in an effort to be sensitive to the Hindus and Muslims of the country.
- Krispy Kreme just announced its entry into the market and has found a way to make its “Original Glazed” donuts without any eggs.
- Coffee might have the most promise. The average Indian consumes 100 grams of coffee a year. The average American consumes 4.5 kilograms.
- Domino’s has been the most successful. It holds 20% of the Indian fast food market (ahead of Subway and McDonald’s), and India is the chain’s largest operation after the United States.
- Pizza in general does particularly well in India, perhaps because it’s easy to make it vegetarian.